Saturday, March 22, 2008

Using a Recruiter To Find A Job: A Nevin Barich Blog Experience

Friday, November 02, 2007
Using A Recruiter To Find A Job

Job recruiters are useless.

That's one of the things I've learned in my recent job search. When I would contact them, they would either a) never respond, or b) tell me that they don't specialize in my "specific" field (who knew that writing and editing were such niche talents) but that they'd keep their eye out for me.

Assholes.

So one day, I sent a group e-mail to a bunch of these recruiters and tried my best to break down my skill set. Here is what I wrote:

Dear Recruiters:

My name is Nevin.

Find me a job.

Any job.

As you can see by the resume I attached, I can do writing, editing, marketing, public relations, corporate communications, and so forth.

Here are some of the other things I'd be willing to do for pay:

---Scoop ice cream.

---Shovel elephant dung.

---Juggle knives.

---Deliver eviction notices to folks in the ghetto.

---Eat glass.

---Be a Wal Mart greeter.

---Shave the wool off of sheep.

---Milk cows.

---Shovel other types of dung.

---Be a guidance counselor for teenage girls in Orange County.

---Teach Latin to dogs.

And finally, worst case scenario:

---Work in food services.

Please get back to me with a list of employment opportunities at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Nevin Barich

a.k.a. Slave

And even after all that, I still couldn't find a recruiter to help me land a job.

I thought the "Wal-Mart Greeter," at the very least, would get me some response. They're always looking for people who will accept anything for any pay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey, guess what? I'm trying to make a living writing blogs about the dumb things of everyday life. How am I doing this? With the help of the folks at iBizTraining.com, an online training resource that shows you how to run your own online business (Online Training, Online Business. My God, it fits!!). Find out more at www.iBiztraining.com

The best sportswriters in the world are women (I have always said this). And the best in the world is none other than my girlfriend Ramona Shelburne, sports columnist for the Los Angeles Daily News. Read more about her at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramona_Shelburne

There's a high standard in today's fashion world. And no one meets that standard better than Spooles, which provides customers with high-quality purses and other accessories that are both affordable and trendy. Get trendy!! Go to www.spooles.com

There's a cowgirl inside every woman: Elusive, passionate, untamed (I wrote that myself!!). Elusive Cowgirl caters to the free spirit within you, priding themselves on a special line of high-quality products unique on its own yet tailored to fit your everyday style. Find your inner cowgirl: Visit www.elusivecowgirl.com

The laziest man in Earth…is blogging about it. Go to www.lazyhank.com and find out more.

No comments: