Saturday, March 22, 2008

Conversations With Mom: A Nevin Barich Blog Experience

Moms are nuts. We all know this. Yes, they're kind and sweet and the most wonderful women on Earth -- and if nothing else, you can always go home to Mom -- but I'm sure I speak for many when I say the most random, ridiculous conversations we will ever have in our lives are with the woman who gave us life.

Over the past few months, I've had a few rather exceptionally whacked-out conversations with my mom, who -- being from Brooklyn and Jewish -- is more nuts than most.

Observe:

-----------------------------

Nev's Mom: Nevin, I'm not so sure about this Content Editor job.

Nev: Well like I said, Mom, I'm just talking with them. No formal offer has been made.

Nev's Mom: I know, but with Wonder Bread going out of business...

Nev: I know but...wait, what?

Nev's Mom: You didn't hear? Wonder Bread is going out of business.

Nev: Um...OK.

Nev's Mom: Nevin, hello? Wonder Bread!

Nev: What does Wonder Bread have to do with my job search?

Nev's Mom: Well, if Wonder Bread can go out of business, don't you think this company you're talking to can go out of business too?

Nev: That...that makes absolutely no sense!! Mom, the Content Editor job deals with loyalty services. That's, like, credit card rewards points. Wonder Bread deals with...bread.

Nev's Mom: I'm just saying: It's a scary time in the business world. If Wonder Bread goes out of business, then that makes me worry more about you.

Nev: But I don't...work with bread.

Nev's Mom: But you eat sandwiches!!

----------------------------------

Nev's Mom: Who is your Internet provider?

Nev: AT&T.

Nev's Mom: Why don't you have Verizon?

Nev: Because AT&T was the main provider in my coverage area.

Nev's Mom: But isn't Verizon your cell service?

Nev: Yeah.

Nev's Mom: So why isn't Verizon your Internet provider?

Nev: Um...I don't know.

Nev's Mom: Well, wouldn't that make more sense?

Nev: Mom, when I moved into my apartment, they told me AT&T was the main Internet provider here. So I got AT&T.

Nev's Mom: Did you at least consider Verizon?

Nev: Why are you asking me this two years later?

Nev's Mom: Because I'm concerned.

Nev: About what? My Internet?

Nev's Mom: Yes!

Nev: Why?

Nev's Mom: Because Verizon is your cell phone. And you have two different technologies and two different companies and...I just worry!! What if they don't work well together and they explode?!?

----------------------------

And finally:

Nev's Mom: Don't forget to get your brake pads done.

Nev: Mom, I don't have to do that for, like, 3-4 months.

Nev's Mom: I know, but I'm just reminding you.

Nev: You're reminding me about something I won't do for four months?

Nev's Mom: Well, what if you forget?

Nev: Well, if you're so worried, why don't you remind me in, like, four months?

Nev's Mom: Well, why don't you write yourself a note so I don't have to remind you four months in advance?!?

---------------------

My favorite line was the "technologies not working together and exploding" thing. I confess: I didn't see that one coming. That was a new one.

Moms.

Yeah.
-------------------------

Hey, guess what? I'm trying to make a living writing blogs about the dumb things of everyday life. How am I doing this? With the help of the folks at iBizTraining.com, an online training resource that shows you how to run your own online business (Online Training, Online Business. My God, it fits!!). Find out more at http://www.ibiztraining.com/

The best sportswriters in the world are women (I have always said this). And the best in the world is none other than my girlfriend Ramona Shelburne, sports columnist for the Los Angeles Daily News. Read more about her at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramona_Shelburne

There's a high standard in today's fashion world. And no one meets that standard better than Spooles, which provides customers with high-quality purses and other accessories that are both affordable and trendy. Get trendy!! Go to http://www.spooles.com/

There's a cowgirl inside every woman: Elusive, passionate, untamed (I wrote that myself!!). Elusive Cowgirl caters to the free spirit within you, priding themselves on a special line of high-quality products unique on its own yet tailored to fit your everyday style. Find your inner cowgirl: Visit http://www.elusivecowgirl.com/

The laziest man in Earth…is blogging about it. Go to www.lazyhank.com and find out more.

No comments: