Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Prices You Pay For Eating In A "Civilized" Restaurant: A Nevin Barich Blog Experience

My dad and I have different tastes when it comes to food. He likes fancy cuisine, while I'm a grease monkey. He likes to "dine," while I eat on the run.

Well recently, while meeting up for lunch, he insisted we go to a place that was more to his taste. So I met him near his neck of the woods at Pacific Dining Car in L.A.'s Westside, a "fine-dining establishment that has withstood the test of time," according to my dad.

The Pacific Dining Car, the elder Barich says, offers a fine-dining experience unlike any other. It's ambience offers calm and reflection, its furniture is distinguished and the finest in comfort, its service is impeccable, the silverware is spotless, and it's one of the last places in the nation that offer afternoon tea.

"In short," Bob Barich says, "it's a civilized place for civilized people."

Riiiight. And here are some of their "civilized" prices:

---Two scrambled eggs: $13.95

(If you want just one egg, subtract 95 cents.)

---Cheeseburger: $20.95

---Chinese Chicken Salad: $28.95

("For that price, the salad better be served by hot Asian geishas in thin silked robes," I told my dad.)

---Steak Salad: $31.95

---Rib-Eye Steak: $43.95

("Is the steak at least sprinkled with solid gold flakes?" I asked.)

And finally, if you actually wanted afternoon tea...

"$19.95!?!" I exclaimed to my dad.

He sighed.

"Nevin, they give you your choice of tea," he said. "Remember: it's civilized."

Personally, if that's considered civilized, I'd rather walk into Carls Jr., pay $1.99 for a famous star, and have a beer bottle smashed over my head on the way out.

But that's just me.

And now for this week's:

SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE

Earlier this week, I saw the following commercial on TV:

When the feeling of love is stronger than you ever thought possible, make sure the opportunity doesn't pass you by.

K-Y Personal Lubricant.

Take advantage.

Damn.

I mean...

Damn.

Do you like these blogs? Hate them? Somewhere in the middle? Leave me a comment and let me know. Your words keep me motivated...to write mine. :-)

--------------

Hey, guess what? I'm trying to make a living writing blogs about the dumb things of everyday life. How am I doing this? With the help of the folks at iBizTraining.com, an online training resource that shows you how to run your own online business (Online Training, Online Business. My God, it fits!!). Find out more at www.iBiztraining.com

The best sportswriters in the world are women (I have always said this). And the best in the world is none other than my girlfriend Ramona Shelburne, sports columnist for the Los Angeles Daily News. Read more about her at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramona_Shelburne

There's a high standard in today's fashion world. And no one meets that standard better than Spooles, which provides customers with high-quality purses and other accessories that are both affordable and trendy. Get trendy!! Go to www.spooles.com

There's a cowgirl inside every woman: Elusive, passionate, untamed (I wrote that myself!!). Elusive Cowgirl caters to the free spirit within you, priding themselves on a special line of high-quality products unique on its own yet tailored to fit your everyday style. Find your inner cowgirl: Visit www.elusivecowgirl.com

The laziest man in Earth…is blogging about it. Go to www.lazyhank.com and find out more

No comments: