Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Run-In With The Horseradish Gestapo: A Nevin Barich Blog Experience

Like any man, I enjoy a good piece of meat every now and again.

OK, who am I kidding? I love meat. I'm obsessed with meat. Burgers, hot dogs, steak, pork chops. I'm a meat eater, people. Bacon is like a second language to me. If I ever have to go on a diet again, I'll do Atkins so that I can make Italian sausage smothered with cheese and declare, "I'm eating healthy!!"

With that in mind, I recently ventured over to the Outdoor Grill in Northridge, a barbecue "not quite fast food but not quite restaurant" place that is pretty good. Once there, I looked at the menu and decided to get some prime rib.

Now here's a "Nevin fact" you might not be aware of: I hate horseradish. I've never liked the taste. Even if mixed with something like sour cream, it just doesn't do it for me.

Horseradish, though, is a common condiment among the prime rib crowd. Thus, when I told the guy behind the counter, "No horseradish"...

...the guy went psycho.

I mean, he gave me this look that literally made me take a half-step back. You would have thought I had worn a Nazi uniform into Israel. You would have guessed that had I screamed "VOTE FOR HILLARY!!!" during a union oilworker rally in Texas.

The dude looked at me with these laser eyes...

"You must have horseradish," he says.

You must, people. Not horseradish makes it better or are you sure? It's really good!!

You must.

Needless to say, I wouldn't give up without a fight.

"I don't want horseradish," I said.

"You must," the man replied.

"But I don't like horseradish."

"It brings out the flavor."

"I...don't...like...it."

"You...will...try...it."

I stared.

He stared.

I don't like to be bullied.

He wouldn't back down.

Irresistable force.

Immovable object.

Who would win?

Luckily, my superior intellect prevailed.

"It's that good?" I asked the guy.

"It's the best," he replied.

"OK then."

I took the horseradish.

The guy smiled.

He turned away...

...and I threw the horseradish in the trash.

Game.

Set.

Match.

Barich.

The moral of the story?

Next time, offer me au jus.

And then...we won't have a problem.

And now for this week's:

SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE:

Longtime NFL quarterback and future Hall of Famer Brett Favre retired.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you like these blogs? Hate them? Somewhere in the middle? Leave me a comment and let me know. Your words keep me motivated...to write mine. :-)

---------------

Hey, guess what? I'm trying to make a living writing blogs about the dumb things of everyday life. How am I doing this? With the help of the folks at iBizTraining.com, an online training resource that shows you how to run your own online business (Online Training, Online Business. My God, it fits!!). Find out more at www.iBiztraining.com

The best sportswriters in the world are women (I have always said this). And the best in the world is none other than my girlfriend Ramona Shelburne, sports columnist for the Los Angeles Daily News. Read more about her at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramona_Shelburne

There's a high standard in today's fashion world. And no one meets that standard better than Spooles, which provides customers with high-quality purses and other accessories that are both affordable and trendy. Get trendy!! Go to www.spooles.com

There's a cowgirl inside every woman: Elusive, passionate, untamed (I wrote that myself!!). Elusive Cowgirl caters to the free spirit within you, priding themselves on a special line of high-quality products unique on its own yet tailored to fit your everyday style. Find your inner cowgirl: Visit www.elusivecowgirl.com

The laziest man in Earth…is blogging about it. Go to www.lazyhank.com and find out more.

No comments: