Friday, August 21, 2009

The Hours Before My Wedding: A Nevin Barich Blog Experience

Let me tell you something I discovered this evening about wedding rehearsals and wedding rehearsal dinners: When they're for you, they're absolutely exhausting. :-) As I write this, my New York relatives who flew in for the wedding -- all of whom are at least twice my age -- are downstairs in the lobby at our hotel, chatting it up like they're 12-year-old girls at a sleepover, while I am alone in my room planning to hit the hay after I post this blog.

There's something wrong there. :-)

If this blog is all over the place, forgive me. For those of you new to this blog, I write this a mere 16 hours away from getting married to my fiancee Ramona, and my head's a little hazy. She and I have been together for more than eight years and have been engaged for nearly a year, so although I technically haven't felt like a single man since Enron was all the rage, tonight (cue dramatic music) is technically my last night of freedom.

And I'm sitting on a couch. Falling asleep. Blogging.

But despite my lack of living it up, I'm happy. Truly happy. I'm getting married tomorrow, I can honestly say I'm not freaked out, Ramona seems totally happy that she's marrying me (either that or her "tears of joy" was actually caused by her stepping on a rusty nail at the restaurant), and all my friends and family are here ready to celebrate with me.

Pretty cool, huh? :-)

Not that tonight wasn't without its craziness. When you factor in parents, ring bearers, flower girls and Ramona's Grandma Eve, there are over 20 people in the actual wedding, and the rehearsal today consisted of all the women trying to talk over each other while me and the men...more or less stayed silent.

In fact, one of my groomsmen Joe commented at one point:

Nev, I'm a little surprised at your lack of input.

For the record: At today's rehearsal I was asked one question, made a suggestion, and it was ignored.

Just following the wedding tradition of many men before me. :-)

But despite all of that, we got through the rehearsal, and quickly. People know when to line up, where to walk, what to do, what to wear, what to say, and me and my best man Kevin even threw in a fist bump for good measure.

Plus, the rehearsal isn't without its funny story. Midway through I got a text from my friend and former co-worker Frank:

What's up Nev? Got any plans today?

Uh, yeah bud. I'm getting married tomorrow. Other than that, not too much.

The rehearsal dinner was even louder and more crazy, which will happen when you have 60 people from both sides of the family who don't know each other yet like to talk. I found myself meeting people I'd never met before, seeing old friends, revisiting with family I hadn't seen in a long time, and at one point I even went over to a table and said:

I know I'm related to all of you, but I have no idea who you are.

It was an ice breaker. :-)

But it was fun, eventful, everyone got fed, and no blood was shed over the course of the evening (at least in the restaurant). More importantly, everyone was happy. My parents seemed thrilled, Ramona's parents were smiling, Ramona was glowing, friends and family were laughing together, and I had a plate of cheese enchiladas in front of me so I couldn't complain. :-)

So what's my point here? No point. It's just that it's hours from my wedding and I'm cool with not being a bachelor anymore. I'm ready to go. I'm ready to marry the love of my life, wear the ring, be called husband (that will take some getting used to) and live happily ever after.

I'm getting married.

And I'm feeling pretty good.

:-)

And now for this week's:

SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE

Again: I'm getting married in 16 hours.

Does that qualify? :-)

2 comments:

Another Suburban Mom said...

As someone who is celebrating 16 years of married bliss today all I can say is Mazel Tov!

Enjoy the day, it goes by very quickly.

Amber said...

Best sign of the apocalypse EVER! See you in 6.5 hours!!!