Saturday, January 28, 2012

Flying First Class: A Nevin Barich Blog Experience

Nevdogg Note: This is the first of a two-part series about my wife Ramona's amazing Christmas for me, in which myself and a friend flew first class from Los Angeles to Chicago and then saw the Green Bay Packers play at Lambeau Field on New Year's Day. Part 1 is about flying first class.

So it's 6:30 a.m. on Dec. 31, 2011. A little early to be up on New Year's Eve. Normally, yes. However, when you're on your way to Los Angeles International Airport to fly FIRST CLASS to Chicago and then catch the Green Bay Packers play at iconic LAMBEAU FIELD the next day, you don't mind getting up when the sun does. :-)

Here's how it went down:

For Christmas, my wife Ramona and her friend Jessica surprised myself and Jess' husband Adam with first-class airfare to Chicago on New Year's Eve, along with tickets to the Packers game the following day. For me, this was the gift to end all gifts. For one thing, while a diehard Raiders fan, I've always liked the Packers and if there's one place I've always wanted to go to watch a sporting event, it was the Packers' home stadium -- Lambeau Field -- which is essentially the sporting mecca of America. But more on the game next blog. :-)

As an amazing bonus, our airplane ride was going to take place in first-class comfort. For me, this was a dream come true. I've flown first class exactly once in my life, when I was 6 years old and going with my parents and sister to see relatives in New York. And all I remembers is that we flew through a hurricane and they served me hot dogs.

So needless to say, I've always wanted to have a first-class airplane experience that I'd actually remember so my amazing wife made it happen!

How was the experience? Let me tell you, as we play a game called:

Except If You're In First Class

When we arrived at the airport and when to check in our bags, there was a huge line to wait in...

...except if you're in first class. :-)

In first class, you have your own special line, complete with red carpet, with no one in front of you and people quickly and easily checking in your bags free of charge.

When we went to board the plane, it took a while to get on because it was an extremely full flight...

...except if you're in first class.

Priority boarding. Hell's to the yes.

Once on the plane, every nook and cranny was filled up, from the seats to the overhead compartment...

...except if you're in first class.

Including myself and Adam, there were exactly three people in first class, with plenty of overhead compartment space and our very own rows.

Like any flight, no drinks are served before takeoff...

...except if you're in first class.

"Sir, would you like anything to drink before we take off?" the stewardess asked me.

I had a Diet Pepsi and a Bailey's Irish Cream. Free, of course. :-)

As you know, these days airlines charge anything from $5 to $10 for packaged food boxes...

...except if you're in first class.

I got food that was actually cooked. Cooked, people! I had a potato-and-leek omelet (I had to ask what a leek was) with mozzarella sausage and vegetable hash. Plus, they gave you real silverware!

"What do you think so far?" Adam asked me.

"Dude!" I replied. They put this Diet Pepsi in a glass!"

It's the little things. :-)

Airlines always charge for movies, when you have a choice of a couple of films...

...except if you're in first class.

I had my choice of 25 on-demand movies. Twenty-five! I was officially happier than a hog in slop.

"Excuse me?" I asked the stewardess. "One more Bailey's please."

I like a fresh beverage during movie time. :-)

Other first-class highlights:

Leg room. OMG.

Easy bathroom access.

Foot rests.

Unlimited snacks.

Mouthwash (all you have to do is ask).

Blankets and pillows that don't itch.

And, most importantly:

A screen to separate you from the rest of the plane.

Peons.

:-)

And now for this week's:

SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE

A man was recently arrested for disorderly conduct while covered in white powder.

Here's his mugshot.

Yep.

Some SOTAs just write themselves.

1 comment:

Cheap First Class Tickets said...

Awesome post! Sounds like you had a great time.